Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In a nut shell...

IBHF :)
I can't even begin to tell you all the wonderful things that happened to me in Mexico City.  I tried to give you an inside scoop of all that happened, and what I experienced, but you'll have no idea unless you experience it too!!  Every student... no, every person, rather... should travel abroad!  I know that I had my doubts before we left, but by the time our trip was coming to a close, it was all I could do to pack up and go home.  I didn't want to leave my new home, my new friends, my new family, and all my new memories.  We'd only been there for a week, but it felt like it had gone by so much more quickly.  When it was time to say goodbye, we were all trying to guess who would cry-- I never thought that it'd be me.  Yes, I'm emotional, but I barely even knew these people!  It doesn't matter where you're from, or how long you've known someone... you can create relationships that'll last a lifetime!  I still talk to Nalleli, Raul, Vidi, Jimena, etc.  We're all still friends, and hope to reunite someday soon!  I can't believe that I went to Mexico City, I can't believe I flew in a plane, I can't believe that I made so many new friends, or that I climbed pyramids, and was on a Television Set.  Who would have thought that me, an average college student from Kentucky could have these awesome experiences?  I wouldn't have traded that week for anything in the world... I am a changed person, student, woman, friend, daughter, sister, etc. because of this trip.


If you've ever doubted going away to study abroad, don't hesitate.  It is one of the best things that can happen to a college student, and at such an affordable rate... with the right connections, and some scholarships.  I can't wait to visit Mexico again, and hopefully study abroad again... for an even longer time!  These experiences, and knowledge will last with me for a lifetime, and I can never thank NKU, IBHF, Honors, Dr. Lang, Professor Goebel, the YMCA, etc.  All these people and groups helped make this trip possible, and I am forever grateful.
Working in small groups with some of the YMCA students


Trips such as these will help any student, especially a Business student, as myself. (Although I switched my major to PR, I am still minoring in Marketing).  We need to be able to understand the global market, the economy and all that goes into the intercultural businesses.  This trip has not only prepared me as a student in America, but also as a aspiring businesswoman!  To prepare for the growing global marketplace... we must be able to understand the basics of others' cultures, as well as their inter workings with one another.  In order for us to understand others, we must understand ourselves, and be willing to learn about other cultures.  Although sometimes, we are close-minded when it comes to the world... we must realize there is more out there than just America.  There is so much more out there to do, to make, to achieve, to see, to share, to work with.  We need to take the time ti understand it all, and work towards a better intercultural behavior.  We label each other, but why?  We need to drop judgement, step out of our comfort zone, and make things happen.  If we believe, we can succeed.  All those cliche sayings really are true.  And when we take the time to not judge others, others will not judge us.  In business, especially in today's times, we must be willing to cooperate with others.  Business is a growing field, and in order to understand the global economy, we must be willing to understand other parts of the globe.  Although Mexico is just one small portion of the global economy-- we are one step closer to becoming more global-friendly!
NKU and YMCA kids all together! 


But really, thank you so much to everyone who made this trip possible!  We had an awesome time, and I will forever be grateful!  I have grown so much, and learned so much... I can't wait to keep learning more in the future! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment